Sunday, September 2, 2012

Made through the first week of school

I made it through the first week of school.....barley! On Friday Blake had his second surgery from his jaw break. He slept most of the day. A few times he mumbled in his sleep...."Do I look normal"? I just laughed thinking ya don't look so normal with your mouth hanging open and that drool rolling out. I'm just happy it is finally over. I think one of the worst things you go through as a mom is seeing your kids hurt. It just plain sucks. He did look almost childlike, I forgot how much I missed that. When he is awake lately he seems to be that know it all teenager that really knows nothing.
One of the days when I was getting the kids up for school. I laid in one of their beds while they brushed their teeth and got dressed. Unfortunately I have to make sure they brush their teeth. Why anyone would want to leave the house without doing this is beyond me. So I laid there and listened while two of them peed and did not flush after. I yelled from the bed...."Are you really so lazy that you can't flush the pot??? One yelled back...."Why are you always so mad?" Gee I don't know....maybe because I feel if you can't even flush a damn pot I'm failing as a parent. Maybe I feel if I send you out into the big bad world in a few years you will fail miserably. Who will wake you up? Who will make sure you brush and flush??? Who will feed you, make sure you match, make sure you have your stuff, and make sure find your shit??????? Oh yes, I'm failing as a parent big time! My parents didn't do all this crap for me. I turned out alright eventually. I know one thing I left my house knowing how to do laundry, cook, clean, and take care of myself. My kids are never leaving! Why would they, they have it too good here.
When did the whole society go wrong with these kids. Most of us our guilty of this. It's almost like they feel they are entitled to things. I pick up my oldest from football and he is like stop and get me a shake, a burger, a drink, and so on. I feel myself doing these things to shut him up. Perfect example I'm writing this blog entry tonight. Aidan comes down and wants the other computer that happens to be in another room. I tell him to go get it. He says..."I have played too much Xbox and I'm scared I'm going to get sniped when I get it". I say that is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. My parents would have told me to get it or forget it. I got sick of the whining and walked in the other room to get it for him. Lazy parenting at it finest! I know all the right things to do. I read about it, I research it, I bitch about it, but I don't do anything to change it. It all falls on me.
Anyway I have been trying to be "pinteresting" all week. Aidan had a bug bite that was itching him. I read on pinterest that if you put clear nail polish over it, it will stop the itching. Who knew! It worked too.
My oldest got himself in a bit of a pickle this weekend. I will not go into to details because some things are meant for the family to handle behind closed doors. He has recently floated between two groups of kids. It's a long story why this happened in the first place. I told him to be careful because you are guilty by association. I have preached to him that we are from a small town. People hear things and see things and you really can't get much by this town. He learned a very valuable lesson this weekend. I think he is finally hearing me. Unfortunately he had to learn the hard way. Why this bothers me so much I don't know. Life is about lessons and learning from mistakes. I should be happy that he learned something. Instead I want to make everything better for him. I know if I do I will be doing him an injustice. The unfortunate thing is the rumors are worst than what actually happened. I told him see how people assume the worst. It is because of who you were with. My mom once told me this same thing. You hang out with bad people you do bad stuff. You hang out with good people you do good stuff. You hang out with unhappy couples you end up in a fight. You hang out with negative people you take the negativity on. She was right even if I rolled my eyes at her when she told me this. I have learned this lesson over and over in my life. I just hoped my kids would be perfect and would never make mistakes. In a perfect world right!!!!!!!! What I have to remember is that is a part of growing up. It's one thing I hoped we could skip over. No one ever told you you would be a manager, a referee, a coach, and an advocate when you became a parent. One thing I talked to him about this weekend is peer pressure. I told him there is usually one person in the group that wants to do something bad. Most know right from wrong and want to do the right thing but peer pressure comes in to play. I told him if he has the courage to be the one who says NO  I promise him people will follow his lead. I also told him the most successful people in life are leaders not followers. I only hope he is hearing me.

So tonight we went to dinner. I was on Aidan's case about something. He said...Mom you remind me of a chicken. I asked...why is that???? He said you are pecking at all the time. I said that's right and I'm going to keep on pecking so you better get used to it. On our way home Hubs was giving Blake bad girl advice. I put my two cents in since I happen to be a girl. I say your Dad is a guy and thinks like a guy. I'm a girl...who do you think is going to give you better advice?????? I hope he took my advice.

Last but least I'm working on this post. Aidan is on the sofa and his computer keeps messing up. He wants mine. I tell him I'm working on something. He says having a bad computer is like being left at a bar. I almost wet my pants laughing. Then he says having a good computer is like getting the pretty girl at the bar. Where does he come up with this stuff!!!!!!!!! Anyway I'm holding up my white flag to lazy parenting and giving the kid the computer! I can't stand whining....once again an injustice to my kid. Maybe I will learn someday. I did just got a book called "Cleaning House, A mom's 12 month experiment to rid her home of Youth Entitlement". I will let you know if I happen to learn anything.

No comments: