Monday, September 17, 2012

Making my move!

 So tonight I was making my rounds before the kids go to bed. I try to make it a point to chat with each of them in their bed at night. If I don't they hold me to it. I don't know if they enjoy our chats or if they like stalling bedtime. Probably a little of both. So tonight Cole...aka...drama... asks me to tell him a joke from the olden days. I say "who is from the olden days"??? He tells me I am....Sigh...... I ask him how middle school is going. He says it's hard with way too much homework. He has a teacher with a strong English accent. He likes to talk like him. It cracks me up. He then tells me he likes someone. I'm kind of shocked. He has liked the same girl since the first grade. I say..."what about Brooke"? He tells me he has given up for now. He says he likes a girl named Michelle. I ask if she likes him too. He says "he is not sure but he's making his moves". I laugh out loud and ask how does an eleven year old "Make a Move"????? He gets this really serious face and then he gets right up in my personal space and winks at me. I tell him the fact that he has the ability to make people laugh will be huge with the ladies! Girls like funny guys.
 Tonight I had a meet the teacher night at the high school. I was shocked at how young some of the teachers were. They look like babies. I'm really happy with all the teachers the not so charming prince got. They seem to be very motivated. He is off to a great start. I'm very proud of him since his day starts at 5:30am because of football. They have this thing called skyward where you can check the kids grades everyday. You know exactly what they got on all homework and test the day they take them. I'm so thankful there was no such thing as skyward when I was growing up. It makes me sweat thinking about it. I was the kid always scrambling at the end to get the grade up. When I go to talk to Blake I ask him what he thinks of his teachers. He seems to be happy so far. We have as much of a chat as I have come to expect at this age. I ask lots of questions and he has one word answers. I'm going to keep talking anyway. I think it is important. As I walked out of the room he said "Hey Mom". I said "yes". He says..."I love you". And there it was a small glimpse of the little boy that used to think I hung the moon. I almost cried, He is still in there somewhere!!!!
So I go to Aidan's room. He is spooning the dog. He loves our dog. My little worry wort asks me how much longer Ziggy will live. I tell him not to worry we still have many years with him. He asks how many years is many years. I tell him hopefully seven. He says...."darn it I was hoping to take him to college with me". He tells me he never met a dog as good as Ziggy. Then he says this is as good as it's going to get as far as dogs go. Believe me I know! The dog is like a super cool stoner. Totally laid back. So many times during the day I can't find him. I always find him in one of the boys beds tucked under the covers with his head on a pillow. He always looks up at me and lays back down. I always laugh it just cracks me up. Hub's not so much he believes a dogs place is in the dog bed not on any furniture! The dog and the rest of us have won this battle though. So then I have what I like to call a "WTF" moment of parenting. Aidan says......"What is herpes"???? I wish I could have seen my face when he asked this. This came out of left field especially after we were having such a nice chat about the dog. I ask where he heard this word. He says..."on a commercial". Because he is a worry wart he pays special attention to any medication commercials. I ask "what do you think it is"??? He says..."I don't know I just know the medicine you have to go on causes even more problems for you". What does one say when their nine year old asks what herpes is????? I have to stall cause I don't know what to say. I tell him it's a nasty rash. He asks where do you get it. I tell him in your mouth. He asks why people get it!!!!!!! I think please God why me!!!!! I plead the fifth and tell him I'm not really sure some people just get it. Now that I'm writing this down I think that was the wrong thing to tell him. I bet worry wort will be worrying about getting herpes because of my answer. I'm going to have to re approach this with him tomorrow. God give me strength! If anyone was any suggestions for me that would be great. My fear is if I tell him the truth he will tell a friend, the friend will tell their parents, and in turn I will look like a giant asshole!

On my final thought of the night.......I called my mom...aka...Debbie Downer tonight. She was telling me how she found a dead squirrel in her front yard. She says..."Don't you find that odd"? I don't really know why that would be odd but whatever. She says..."I could see if I found a dead one in the backyard because the dog would have probably killed it". She just can't understand why one would be dead in the front yard! Later in the night I see my sisters post on Facebook. She says..."Squirrel found dead in front yard. Deb Downer wants to know why...why did it die and don't I find it odd"? Kelly says..."Sorry Mom...sometimes squirrels just die". WAAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Going to bed now! Too tired to proof read! Sorry for bad grammar and bad spelling! I really do need to take a grammar class!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell him herpes is just a cold sore on your mouth.

Anonymous said...

I only have one kid, but he's grown, and I did have four little brothers.

From what you've said with Cole and Blake, I'm sure Aiden has an idea what puberty is. Just tell him it's something you can only catch after that point, and you (his dad?) will explain it to him when he's older.

Chuck - same anon as before.

kerry said...

Chuck, Thanks:)