Saturday, September 8, 2012

Are you ready for some football.

 My week has been filled with football ready or not. Between practices and games I can barely think straight. Blake is finally back on the field after his jaw break. They didn't play him as much as usual and he was mad. I get it. He has missed almost two months of practice. He is lucky they are putting him in at all. I have been trying not to hit the fast food as much this season. I just say over and over in my head....I will not super size my ass this time!!!!! Last night after the game I got on the computer to do pictures and turned on the TV. Aidan says to me....it's the computer or TV. One or the other. I look at him like he has three heads. Are you kidding me???? He says...I want one or the other. Well guess what I own both so your shit out of luck. He whines. He has mastered this whining thing lately. It's really starting to get under my skin. I tell him there are two TVs and an Ipad upstairs so have at those. He whines that he wants to be down here. I have pretty much spend a week in the car with him. Driving people around. We have bonded enough kid, so take your ass upstairs! Mind you some of this conversation is in my head.
Before Cole's Saturday game I try to get some reading in. Great book by Kay Wills Wyma. While I'm reading her book about ridding kids of youth entitlement my phone buzzes. It's Blake asking about Cole's game. So the text go like this.....

Me.....aka...mom of the year...YOU ARE GOING TO YOUR BROTHERS GAME. We are leaving at 3.
BLAKE...aka....the Prince, not the charming one.......Ok, if you stop at Taco Bell, PLZ
Me......Are you kidding me???
BLAKE.....No, I'm starving...I just want food so I can eat. It helps you stay alive ya know
ME......(smart ass) EAT HERE.
BLAKE.....NO, I want taco bell....there is nothing to eat there.
ME....EAT HERE
BLAKE....What is the big deal, I just have a taste for Taco Bell.
ME......You always want taco bell or What-a-burger. Stop being a brat
BLAKE....MOM it's food! How does that make me a brat?
ME....We have food here. I'm not hitting a fast food place every time were in the car.
BLAKE.....Fine we are ordering a pizza over here then.
ME....What I texted at this point and what I was thinking were two totally different things.  So I text...Come home NOW.
BLAKE.....Why? Why are you always so mad???
BLAKE again......I just really had my heart set on taco bell. I really don't understand why you are making such a big deal about this. This is the stupidest thing we ever fought over.
ME.....Sorry you feel that way....now get home.
BLAKE....what is there to eat there?
ME....Mac and cheese, Ramon, sandwiches, fruit, and so on.
BLAKE.....Can you make me something?
ME....Get home and make it yourself.
BLAKE.....MOM?????

All this while I'm trying to read this "youth entitlement" book. Isn't it ironic. BTW, if I wasn't reading this book I might have given in to shut him up. But I won this battle. This mom is kicking ass and taking names. So in the book the author talks about how her intentions are good. The result of her good intentions were degradation rather than empowerment. I hear you sister. I could have never said it better myself but I hear ya. I talk a good game but rarely follow through. I tell them they can do anything they set their mind too. Then I don't make them do the work. This author said the same thing in the book. Once again I try to settle down and read. Cole comes in who can be a bit theatrical at times. He gets in my face and says something. I can't even remember what it was, the fuzz he is growing on his teeth distracted me. I say......when is the last time you brushed???? He says last night. I call BS! I tell him to get upstairs and brush. He says......It's the middle of the day, I will do it before bed. I said......You will not leave this house if that fuzz in not brushed off your teeth!!!!! He says......A long drawn out MOMMMMMMMMMM.

I try to read again. The author says.....When we step in to fix problems, do their household chores, or help too much with homework we send the message that they can't do it. She talks about how we are raising "Narcissist" children. Ya know the kind who think the whole world revolves around them. We drive them all around, We buy them too much, We praise them too much, We fix things too much, We inflate their egos too much, we entertain them constantly.......SOUND LIKE ANYONE YOU KNOW???? If your not guilty of this I bet you know someone who is.

I was laughing in the part of the book where she said she is not only their alarm clock but she is also their snooze button. She said right from the start of their day she becomes their servant. The reason I'm laughing is because I have three alarms set on my phone. I get each of them up at three different times depending on school times and sports practices. I lay in their bed while they get ready to make sure they don't go back to sleep, brush their teeth, and match!!!!!! I guess I should let them over sleep, leave with fuzzy teeth, and dress funny. Bet they would learn a thing or too. I didn't get that much farther in my book due to interruptions from over entitled children. The one thing she said in the book that really hit home with me was........."A child will only jump as high as the bar is set". It's funny because I feel I'm the only one jumping any bars over here sometimes. I guess I forgot...I'm Mom!!!! It's my house, my stuff, my car, my radio, and so on and so on. This book makes me think...I like that!!!! On the way to the football game I listened to the radio station I wanted........and a whole lot of whining. These people I live with are a work in progress for sure!!!!!!

No comments: