Thursday, March 4, 2010

What I have learned in my 40 years.

MOST OF US ARE SHIT TALKERS, AND WE LOVE TO PASS JUDGEMENT

If you think nobody ever talked shit about you or judged you for something you are probably sadly mistaken. I think it's safe to say that we have all done our share of shit talking and judging from time to time. Let's admit it it's kinda fun and it makes us feel better about ourselves. I don't know why we are always so surprised when we find out someone has shit talked us. This kinda stuff used to bother me because I wanted everyone to like me. Now I just don't give a shit, I guess that's one of the great things about being 40. I like to think of it this way.....if someone is talking about me that means for one I'm not an invisible person and two I must be interesting. In my old age I'm trying real hard to look at the positive end of things. As much as most of us love to shit talk, I think we like to judge people even more. We judge peoples marriages, their parenting, their lifestyle, their situations, and list goes on and on. I have certainly done my share of judging. I'm not proud...but its a fact. If we judged ourselves as much as we judge others we may make a change for the better. I have been trying not to shit talk or judge to much. I find when I do I usually end up having to eat my words cause the same shit happens to me....I guess it's that damn karma thing.
MOST OF US ARE BETTER TALKERS THAN WE ARE LISTENERS
How many times have you found yourself talking to someone and while they are talking you are going over in great detail in your mind what your going to say next. How about when their talking and your thinking about all the stuff you have to do. Then there's the good Ol when someones talking to you and your thinking about the zit on their face, the thing in their teeth, a booger in their nose, what they are wearing (good or bad), and how many wrinkles they have. I'm going to make a conscious effect to stop the madness of my overactive brain and listen better.
MOST OF US ARE LIARS
Most of us are liars more like white liars. We are not lying to hurt someone we are usually doing it to not hurt someone. We tell people it's not that bad when we know damn well it is that bad. We tell people we know what their going through but we have no idea unless we have been through that same situation. We lie about how great our lives are and how wonderful are children are when sometimes that's just not the truth. When someone asks us how we are even if were having the worst possible day ever we usually say "great". Women lie to their girlfriends all the time, more so when we are younger. When we know a guy is not into them we lie and say "of course he likes you, whats not to like". If our girlfriend is telling us a story and we know the husband-boyfriend is in the right we don't dare tell them. We usually say "what an asshole". If our girlfriends ask us about their hair or outfit even if we don't like it we tell them they look nice. Lets just say we lie to be nice because most women are pleasers. We lie about all kinds of things I even catch myself trying to lie to myself. Think about all the little white lies you have told in your life. I feel like such a hypocrite since I always tell my children the worst thing in the world is a liar. My kids have even caught me lying about things whether it be to get out of something I don't want to do or not wanting to hurt someones feelings. Let me tell you they let me know when I've been caught too.
EXCUSES, EXCUSES
When we don't follow through with something do you ever notice that most people have an excuse why. We all seem to have an excuse for everything we do. If we do something bad there is an excuse that follows. If we blow something off there is an excuse that follows. If we don't work out there is an excuse that follows...and so on and so on. We make excuses for not getting a job, for our kids doing something wrong, and for not coming through with something. Sometimes we make excuses for why someone doesn't like us. We even make excuses to ourselves. I'm going to try not to make as many excuses and start getting shit done.
I don't know why I even wrote this post. I found my overactive mind thinking about all this crap today. Hello do you think I need a job to occupy this mind????I hope I still have friends after this post. If we think about it most of us have probably found ourselves in one or two of these situations before.

1 comment:

Dottie :-) said...

This is all so true. Part of the reason I love your blog so much....your honesty. People do like to talk shit but they are just so indignant when they realize someone has said something about them. Sometimes, people like to cause trouble. They go tell someone that you said something about them, make it sound the juciest and most painful they can (because they need a little drama) and in the end, it was probably all made up or the story changed from what was first said to what they ultimately heard. The refreshing part of this is when you talk about how you cared about people thought of you. You wanted people to like you, and not you just don't give a shit. I need to get there. It sounds liberating. I'd like to be able to say to some: "please go get professional help!" and not give a flying fuck what they thing of me after that! LOL
Love your blog. Keep it up. XOXOXOX ~Dottie