Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Grandma's B-day in Chicago

Right before we were going to make our trip to Chicago my Grandma got very sick.
My Grandma is the best person ever. I have a hard time putting into words how much I love this lady. I hate to see her sick. She is that person that never says anything bad about anyone. I wish I was more like her. When we got to Chicago she had something called C-diff. My kids could not go see her at first because she was highly contagious. I could see her but had to suit up in gloves and a gown. I could not hug or kiss her because of this C-diff thing. My Grandma took care of me for a long time when I was young. I used to go to her house before and after school because my parents worked a lot. I loved being at her house. She made me mac&cheese everyday because I was a picky eater. She was the only one that would cater to this picky side of me. My Gram had seven children, my Dad being the oldest. I was actually closer in age to some of the younger ones than my Dad was. She buried two of her children. Having kids I really don't know how she survived that. My Uncle Danny was killed when I was four from a drunk driver. My Grandparents were on a flight to Australia when this happened. Grandma and Grandpa landed there and were called in right away to get the bad news. Danny was only 18 years old. Kevin their second son died from cancer right before he turned 50. Kevin was my God father and he was a force to be reckoned with. Kevin had a crazy fun personality and was the life of any party. I don't know how she made it through all this but she did. I don't think I could have survived the way she did.


She turned 86 while we were in Chicago. A lot of us headed to the after care home she is in to celebrate her B-day. My dad was born nine months to the day my Grandparents got married. Grandma tells me there was no pre-marital sex back then. I guess she was a fetal Myrtle. I get it in a way since I got PG with my last one while on the pill. Now don't get me wrong I doubled up all the time and started late on those suckers but nothing ever happened till Aidan! None of my Grandma's kids look alike. None of my kids look alike either.
This is my Grandma's sister Aunt Ann. Yes, she is a nun. It is hard to believe a nun comes out of my family. Thank God she doesn't read my blog.
Kelly and I fight over Grandma too. I have to say I was the one that really got to spend my childhood with her. I was also the first Grandchild for her, this must hold some rank. We won't mention our cousin Sherry in this post who got to spend a lot of her time with Gram.
My Grandma has always just beams when my kids come in the room. I love the way she loves them. She thinks they hung the moon. She has no idea that they can be pure evil! She always tells me how cute they are. I agree they are super cute but she does not see their dark side.
Here is our group picture with Grandma, I really love this family I was blessed with. All of this because of this lady.
Anyway, my sweet Grandma has cancer. I hope that anyone reading this blog will pray for her. I can't imagine taking a trip home and not seeing her. I know she is 86 years old and has had a great life filled with lots of love and family. The selfish side of me wants to keep her around forever. I know in my heart of hearts that people don't last forever but I would really like to go to Chicago next summer and spend some time sitting across the kitchen table from my Grandma telling her everything going on with me.

No comments: