Sunday, September 12, 2010

BBQ

My Aunt Margie organized a send off BBQ at my Grandma's house for us. It was so great to see everyone. It was so thoughtful of her to do this for us. My Aunt Margie is the greatest, she was the only girl in my Dad's family. I bet it was hard to grow up with six brothers in a four bedroom house with one shower. While I'm writing this post I'm watching the MTV awards. I have this sudden urge to get up and rock out right in my living room. I don't want to freak my kids out though. I really always wanted to be a Rock Star.

Everyone has a great time hanging out. I really enjoyed my time with these people I have to call family. During the BBQ we went up to the nursing home to say goodbye to my Grandma. This was really hard for me. I had a lot of things I wanted to tell her. I found myself there unable to say anything. Every time I tried to say something I started to cry. We held hands for a long time while I just sat there and cried. I kissed her goodbye and left there feeling hopeless. I hate seeing her so sick. I can't imagine my life without her.


Top chef here is my Uncle Harry.......Harry Johnson that is. That is my Uncle Tom with him. When Tom was a kid he was the scrawniest one in the bunch. Now he has these Popeye arms and legs. I have heard rumors that he goes to bars and arm wrestles guys half his age. Harry Johnson is married to my Aunt Margie. My Aunt Margie works at the catholic school I went to for eight years. She was telling me that the kids would always ask her what her husbands name was, She would say Harry. They would say Harry what????? She would say Harry Johnson. She said for a long time she didn't know why they would always start laughing. It finally clicked that she was married to a Harry Johnson. When your name is Harry Johnson your kind of screwed. There is no way around it since you can't shorten the name Harry. So you go through life as a Harry Johnson. I would say why would a parent do that to a child but we probably didn't call Harry Johnson's, Harry Johnson's back when he was born.
While writing this post I decided to save it and and come back to it. I got this urge to "google" hairy Johnson to see what comes up!!!! HA HA The first thing was the "Urban Legend" for hairy Johnson. I'm too embarrassed to write what that was. I also saw that there is a hairy Johnson rock band out there. I wonder what they sing about??
When I was a kid I used to go with Harry Johnson and Aunt Margie to Devils lake every summer. Those were some of my best times. Harry Johnson is a man of few words. I always know when I see him I going to get a "Heyyyyyy" from him. It was great hanging out with Harry Johnson at the BBQ. I haven't been eye to eye with a Harry Johnson in a while. He is one lucky Harry Johnson because he is married to my Aunt Margie who is one of the greatest people I know. BTW, this post was not meant to hurt any Harry Johnson's out there, Especially my Aunt's Harry Johnson. It's just meant to POKE some fun.
My twisted sister was at the BBQ as well. She brought that damn kid that stole my place in Grumpy Old guys heart. I always know I'm going to have fun when Kelly comes. I'm missing hanging out with my twisted sister. She calls me out on all my bullshit and I love that about her. Kelly and I have very similar personality's. She is the one person that gets the darkness of this blog and knows I'm not really a huge asshole.

I have no problem that I might be raising a few queens. I think they look cute in their pink crowns

This is the smoke house in my Grandma's back yard. I'm not sure why they call it that. The only thing I really wonder is who smoked what in this smoke house and why was I never invited. When we were kids we used to write stuff on the walls in here. I always like to go back there and look at all the boys names I wrote on the wall. I was one boy crazy girl. I was going to marry boys like Joe Haughey, Mike Ridge, Kurt Kiefhaber, Brendan O Donnal, just to name a few. Thank God there were no cell phones, texting, Facebooking, back then. I would have been a huge stalker girl. Now it never worked out for me and Joe because his brother Tom was the first boy to feel my buttons. BTW, twisted sister told Grumpy Old guy about that "situation" and got me in big trouble. I was in eight grade which scares the piss out of me since I have a seventh grader. I really have started to hate that saying....paying for your raising! Mike Ridge ended up marring one of my grade school best friends, which I didn't find out until facebook world. Shannon and me would fight for his attention. He used to mess with us because he would like her one week and then he would like me the next. It was all down hill for me when her buttons came in since they looked like balloons and mine really did look like buttons. Kurt I liked because we always walked up the aisle at church together because we were the smallest. I used to imagine we were walking down the aisle getting married. Now Brendan was the one I really loved probably because he is the only one that never said two words to me the whole time we went to eight years of catholic school together.


My cousin Sherry and I like to go back there and check out the writings since we were the biggest culprits. Sherry took my son Aidan back there to write on the wall. Laughing to myself right now "writing on the wall" has a whole new meaning now. He wrote he loves Ziggy. Ziggy is our dog! I can' believe he picked the dog over me!
I got sick of this one taking all the attention away from me with my Grump. I tried to lock her away for a while. Twisted sister came and let her free.
Here are most of the "Kane" girl cousins. One of us is missing but we won't say names in fear that she will pinch or bite us next time she sees us!

Super excited we are finally getting a family picture of all of us together. Then we realize my brother was not there that day. We had a great time at this BBQ. I can't thank my Aunt Margie enough for putting it together. The best part of going to Chicago is I get to hang out with these people I'm related to. I look forward to next summer already.

On our way back from the BBQ we stop by my Uncle Bobby and Aunt Dawn's house. Twisted sister and me stop by their dog house to take care of business. We take our annual dog house pic. Uncle Bob and Aunt Dawn always put on a nice spread when we come. Lots of fried goodies which are my favorites and lots of sweets for twisted sister. Even though I go to Chicago for the entire month I always feel like I didn't get enough time to hang out with all these people I'm related to. I really wish we lived there.

Here is a group shot with my Uncle Bobby's family. I really miss everyone.

No comments: