Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happy Bday to Pig Pen!

 Today Pig Pen turned ten. My baby has hit double digits. Hard to believe. Last night he baked a cookie cake for his classmates. He was very proud and decorated it himself. He does this every year. His favorite show on TV is Cake Boss. He told me last night when he grows up he's going to be the next boss.
 Yes, those happen to be underwear on top of his present. I'm weird like that. I like to give them some kind of laugh on their bday.
I always let the kids pick a place to go for dinner on their Birthdays. Pig Pen picked a burger joint. I was happy. I never met a burger I didn't like. Hubs not so much. He complained. He is the healthy one of this bunch. After we ate I asked everyone at the table to say one nice thing about Aidan. Everyone gets a goofy grin on their face. It's so hard for them to say nice things to each other. I make them do it on holidays and birthdays though. Cole complains. I say.."Come on lets all say something nice about him". Blake says..."Your my little brother". I'm like..."Lucky him Blake, now say something nice about him".  So he tells him he is a really good baseball player. Next up is Cole...aka...Drama. Now he starts to laugh and says..."Your annoying". I say "Stop say something nice". Then he says.."Your gay...giggle, giggle, and your cool". I'm so proud! Hubs says something very nice about what a hard worker Aidan is at everything he does". I tell him how much I love being his Mom and love watching him do all the things he does. Pig Pen has a friend with us. He tells him he is fun to hang out with. This child truly is a blessing.

We get home and we have a gift for him. He laughs about the underwear and puts it on over his clothes. He dances around a bit to get a laugh. Cole calls him gay again. Then Hubs sends Cole to his room. Never a dull moment. He opens his gift. It's a basketball hoop you hang over your door. He has been begging me for one of these. I have tried my hardest to talk him out of it. Shit like this annoys me because it disturbs my shit TV watching. It's one of those gifts that is loud and annoying when their playing with it. Especially in this house since his room is next to the family room. The smile on his face makes it worth it. He wants to open it right away. It was the last one they had at the store. The box was slightly ripped. He opens it and it is missing everything but the backboard. His smile goes away. Hubs complains to me about buying a box with a rip in it. I explain it was the last one. He tells me a box with a rip in it means someone has stolen parts out of it. I think "Know it all in my head" and say.."I guess your right"! So I will be tracking another one down tomorrow.

After the kids go to bed Hubs and I sit down to discuss the new house. We are going to a design center tomorrow to pick out the guts. We are going through pictures and things. I grab the computer. Hubs says.."Don't pull up Pinterest, it's unrealistic". That is exactly what I was doing. My friend took me to lunch today and we went to see the southern living 1.7 million dollar home here. That might have been a mistake too. So then he says..."Don't fight me in front of the girl helping us tomorrow". I say..."You said I could pick out the insides, so don't fight me". He tells me he is in the business so he knows what he's doing. I say.."This stuff is girl stuff and I don't want you raining on my parade". Then he says "lets talk about stuff we want to upgrade so it's clear tomorrow". I tell him the doors on the front of the house our important to me. I don't want cheap looking doors. It sets the tone for the whole house. It is the first thing people see and it is the gateway into my-our dream house. He agrees to put extra money into doors. I hope still agrees when we get the pricing. Then I tell him the kitchen is the most important to me because it's the heart of the home. I tell him I want a really nice granite counter top. He says.."I'm sure they have really nice level one granite tops". I say "I like a level five I saw". He is like.."Your just going to have a bunch of crap all over them so you really won't notice if there level five or one". I say.."You were the one with the big idea to move". He says.."I'm starting to regret that". I tell him I don't want him to cheap out the kitchen. I say.."Lets cheap out the kids rooms and bathrooms". That way they will leave when their supposed to. We don't want to make them to comfortable. He actually smiles and agrees. I tell him I want wood through most of the house. I hate carpet with three boys. He argues about putting wood in the kitchen. He wants tile. Since the main part of the house is one big area I want it to flow and not look choppy. He starts in about how I'll spill water in the kitchen and ruin the floors. He is giving me examples about what a messy cook I am. So I may be going to the I'd rather blow my brains out jamboree tomorrow. Totally heard that line on modern family! I ask if I could bring a friend. I tell him he can go golf or something! He is like.."Come on Kerry"! Tomorrow should be interesting.

Anyway on a final note. Today in our small town there was a tragedy. One of our high school students was killed in a car accident. Even though I did not know this kid it has brought tears to my eyes a few times. I asked Blake if he knew her. He said not well but he would see her in the halls and they would talk once in a while. It just breaks my heart when I think what the family is going through. Here I am celebrating my child's birthday and planning my dream house. There is another family here that just found out their child passed away and now have to plan a funeral. When I hear stuff like this it eats at me. I don't know how a parent can survive the death of a child. I just pray to God to keep my children healthy and safe. We have had a lot of tragedy here in our small town the last two years. It just makes me so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with them on this terrible day for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the hi res shot of Pig Pen sitting at the table displayed life size on my monitor and I was admiring every feature and detail of that boy's face as though he was sitting right there in front of me in my lap. The next thing I knew I was caressing his cheek and my hand and fingers began stroking and caressing his hand and arm as I admired him. I leaned very close to his face and thought OMG! I am about to kiss him LOL! I gotta get this little beauty on display life size. I could have so much fun with him!