Friday, April 13, 2012

What's not believable about a life size Bunny going from house to house????

When I was a young mom I couldn't wait to be Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. I couldn't wait to see my kids sweet innocent smiles when they discovered the things left for them. I couldn't wait to do all the traditions that came along with these holidays. The baking cookies, decorating the tree with holiday music, making gingerbread houses, coloring eggs, and hunting for eggs. I never imagined that these times would also come along with huge messes, a cluster fuck of ornaments in the same spot of the tree, kids sick during holidays, fighting over what the other one got, tears, ugly eggs since I have boys, and WTF moments in my head! Don't get me wrong these days were also filled with lots of love, smiles, laughs, and my greatest memories. Well those days have come to an end lighting fast for me. This is the first year that the last of these people I live with questioned the reality of the giant bunny. What's not believable about a life size bunny going door to door dropping off baskets????? Aidan is an over thinker for sure. Every time I came up with a reason the bunny was real. He came up with a really good reason why I was full of shit. This is once again why I think we should age in reverse. Kids are in such a hurry to grow up and figure the world out. What I would give to re-live the days where I believed in Santa and the bunny. Life was so easy back then. What I would give to be 21 again but that would be another blog that I probably shouldn't write about.
Now that the kids know I'm the bunny they really ruined Easter for me. Not the religious side of Easter. They spent the days before Easter asking when I was going shopping for their Easter stuff. I have always gotten them a gift with their baskets too. Big mistake....all you young mom's out there keep it simple. Keep it to candy. If you don't you will find yourself with spoiled rotten kids years later. You will wonder where you went wrong. For some reason my kids were requesting things that are only birthday or Christmas worthy. I tell them I'm picking the gift and it's going to be something reasonable.
Aidan wants a two hundred dollar bat. The fact that something as bad as.....Are you smoking something funny almost flew out of my mouth makes me feel guilty. If it were up to Hub's he would cut the baskets off all together since they don't believe. I'm a weak sentimental sucker. Aidan gets a wiffle ball bat not a two hundred dollar one. He actually has the nerve to complain about it. I tell him he is lucky he got anything. I tell him there are less fortunate kids who's parents don't have the money to do anything in the world. This doesn't even seem to faze him. He is living in his own little "I'm a spoiled ass" bubble. Oh and wait guess who put him there.....That would be me! I'm serious to the young moms out there. Don't be that overachiever during the holidays. I'm here to tell you it will bite you in the ass.
Blake is the lucky one of the three stooges. Since he is the oldest he will enjoy Santa and the bunny for years longer than the younger ones. He looks happy right????? I believe this is how most teenagers look. The word that comes to mind is stone cold! Too cool to smile for a picture or act happy about an ass load of candy plus a game. I'm so glad I gave up a great new outfit or a new pair of boots for these guys! When I was a kid my mom used to fill my basket with expensive Fannie May chocolate. I always really wanted the cheap candy. Peeps, Reese's, robins eggs, and the giant cheap chocolate bunny. Damn what I would give now for a basket full of Fannie May....just another reason we should age in reverse.

The kids never brought up coloring eggs or hunting eggs this year. It is sad to me. It's sad when you realize all the stuff you used to feel bothered with at times is over. My mother in law and sister in law were supposed to stay through Easter. I planned a good meal. Their trip got cut short because my sister in law could not get out of work. So here I found myself with nothing to do on Easter. My kids do not appreciate a good meal most of the time. I did cook something while the in-laws were here that they all seemed to love. Those meals are few and far between. Remember I grew up Irish Catholic, Easter is a big deal. With Easter came big family parties. Another thing I wish I could get a do over on. That saying "you don't know what you got till it's gone" rings so true. My family in Chicago were all getting together for their traditional Easter bash. These are the times I really miss being home. My friend Ashley called and ended up inviting us over. Since I had already got some stuff to cook for Easter I said I would make it and bring it over.

While I'm getting myself and my food ready to go over there I get a call from Ashley. I can hardly understand her. She is crying but I can't tell what she is saying. I finally make it out. They had gone to church when they came back her husband had accidentally ran over their dog. It was a little chihuahua. They were all so sad. They are huge animal lovers.  I ask if we should not come. She tells me they really want us to come anyway. I kind of feel bad going over there. We stop at Walgreen's on the way over. Since this dog was kind of her daughters I stop in to get her gum, candy, lip gloss, and nail polish. I know this will not make her any less sad but I want to give her a little something special so she knows we are thinking about her. So we get out there and the mood is little somber. There are some swollen eyes. I feel so bad for all of them. It's a sucky thing to lose a pet. I can't help but think it's Easter they did the right thing went to church and all. Then that happens. It just makes no sense to me. Sometimes I struggle with the way God works. I can only go back to my faith that there is a reason why we experience everything good or bad. We have to trust that this is what's supposed to happen to us even it is impossible to understand.
The day ends up being as good as it can be. We all make the most of it. This happens to be one of my all time favorite pictures. I love how guys are so different than women. They don't worry about how they look. We as women are raised to be prim and proper. We worry too much about what we look like or what people think. I love this picture of Boogie living life to the fullest. I might be slightly jealous. The sad thing is no one judges a dude for having a little extra belly....don't get me wrong Boogie is in good shape for his age but he isn't sporting no six pack. Does  he care...of course, but not enough to let it stop him.
Alright so here is my child who can rock any look as if he is a star. Not afraid to rock a light blue girls cowboy hat, not afraid to sing a Taylor Swift song out loud, not afraid to put on lipstick for a good laugh, and not afraid to sing naked in front of a mirror. He will kill me for this later but I kind of love this about him. This kid has given me some of my best belly laughs over the years. I see big things in his future. This kid also reminds my of that "YouTube" video "the annoying orange" at times. If you never saw the annoying orange YouTube it. You will get what I'm talking about. He has been standing in front of me talking before. I can't seem to get the picture of the annoying orange image over his face out of my head. He has a bad tendency to repeat himself over and over when I don't want to hear what he is saying. So I sit back an imagine him as the annoying orange hoping it will make light of the situation. Hoping I don't fly completely off the deep end on him. It works sometimes.....but other times I just lose my mind.
Aidan is a crazy dog lover. Dogs love him as well. I see him later in life married with a shit load of dogs. I see him as a builder of some kind or an engineer. No paper or tape is safe in my house. He is always building boats, football fields, baseball fields, and pole vaulting things out of paper. Recently when Hub's took him to six flags he did not want to get on the roller coasters. I asked him why later. He told me while he was in line he was looking at the way it was made. He told me he saw the wood shaking. He said if one piece of that wood snapped the people would come crashing down. I told you he was my over thinker. It makes me sad for him. I think he will miss out on a lot thinking this way. I know I do. Now I don't really think he has to worry about six flags.....it is the carnivals I worry about. I over think the toothless almost homeless looking people that are not only putting together those rides but running them. I kind of sound like a judgmental B right now. Not proud!


As the day goes on the kids are trying to dive into the inner tube. It is fun to watch.
Everyone has a shot at it. Cole seems to make it every time. The kids say he is lucky. Boogie and I say he has skills.
Ashley who is no side of the road shopper got this pinata on the side of the rode. Kind of proud of her about now. She is normally a Nordstrom girl. The kids have a blast with it.
We topped off the day with a game of family baseball. These are my pretty toes sitting poolside not wanting to mess up my makeup or show off any muffin top. Watching from the sidelines taking pictures of people living life.


Once again I can't help but think what I would live my life like in reverse. Would I care so much about muffin top???? Or would I strip down and jump in that pool???? Would I care so much what people thought????? Would the small things that upset me mean so much???? Would it bother me so much when my kids annoyed the shit out me???? Would all the material things matter so much.....would the he said she said things bother me???  Would I think I was fat at 25????? Would that guy that didn't like me in high school bother me so much?????? Would I hug my kids everyday???   Would I enjoy like hell all the family parties I didn't want to attend as a teenager???? Would I listen to my parents because they really did know what they were talking about most of the time! Would I love my husband a little more, my kids, my friends?????? Would I love life more????? Of course I would...this is why we should age in reverse. Or at least act like we are. God I sound like such a sappy asshole....it is so unlike me!!!! Maybe it's because it's Friday the 13th. Five years ago I lost a very dear friend in a tragic accident. It's the first time the dates lined up the same since then. Just has me thinking about life! R.I.P. Kevin.

No comments: