Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The heartbreak of defeat

 This track season my son Blake did amazing. Every meet he came in first or second for pole vaulting. He tied the school record from 26 years ago. He also came in first or second in all the 300 hurdles. We were all really excited for him to compete in the district track meet. I just knew he was going to break the school record and win for pole vaulting. He has always been an athletic kid but was never the star. In this he was "the one to watch". At every meet I could hear other parents and coaches talk about how good he was. I am so proud of him. What a great community we live in too. He has gotten a lot of support from the parents, coaches, and his classmates out here. I got a lot of text wishing him luck and a lot of text to see how he was doing. I could feel that people were really pulling for him to win. Even his classmates competing against him. I had planned the pictures I was going to send to the paper for when he won. I was going to even try and write an article. Of course I would have needed a ghost writer since we all know I write by the seat of my pants.
 So Tuesday afternoon I sprung the little ones from school early so we could head out to Marble Falls. I had to stop for gas. I ran in to get a few drinks. When I came out I found Cole with my lipstick on! What a character. We picked up four of Blake's friends who wanted to cheer the dripping kids at the track meet. Marble Falls is an hour drive from us. We were all really pumped up on our way out there. We played music and sang.
While they were warming up I over heard the kids from the other school talking about how Blake would be hard to beat. You know when your a Mom you can just tell when something is wrong with your kid. I got that feeling when I talked to him. He seemed especially nervous and not as confident as he was the other times. I tried to reassure him they he would do great.  Right away Blake was not getting his steps right. He didn't know why he couldn't get it right. I could feel his frustration and stood back hoping he could kick the nerves. He was getting visibly upset with his jumps. I walked over and told him to shake it off he would get it next time. His coach was trying his best to help him. They both had worked really hard preparing for this meet. He was out in the second round not making over 8 feet. He has been making over ten feet at every other meet. They get three tries for every foot they clear. On the third he made it over but his pole kicked back and knocked the bar over. I was standing on the sidelines watching as everything seemed to move in slow motion. I watched his face light up as he got over and then I watched it change as he realized his pole had knocked the bar over. I looked over and saw the reaction of his coach, the other parents, his teammates, and even his competitors. We all had the same shocked look on our faces. I was impressed that even the kids on the competing teams seemed to be sad for him instead of being happy he was out. Before he even hit the mat I saw him start to cry. He rolled off the mat and laid on the ground crying which felt like forever. I thought about not including this next picture in the blog. The one of him laying there crying. I'm writing most of this blog for my kids. I think this picture captures the heartbreak of defeat. I can't even find the words to write about how proud I am of him. Proud that he did so well in the season and proud that he cared this much. He is a great pole vaulter and I look forward to watching him just get better in High school.

I walked over to him lying there crying and told him it was going to be alright. He wouldn't pick his head up. Thank God I had sunglasses on because I too was crying. I sat there with him and could hear him crying under his hands. This really broke my heart for him. His coach walked over and told him to get up and hold his head high because he had a great season. He told him that everyone has a bad game even the pros's. He told him he would only get better and he would be there to help him. One of the Dad's watching walked over and told him this was the first time he had watched him vault. He said he must be something special by the reaction he saw from everyone when he didn't make it.   I heard him say this is just a bump in the rode son. I watched his teammates walk over to show their support and their disappointment. I think the thing that impressed me the most was the boy from Lake Travis that walked over. This was Blake's biggest competition. They have been neck and neck all season. They either tied or would beat each other. They both got over the ten foot mark at the last meet they were in together for the first time. This kid walked over to Blake and told him he was sorry he didn't make it. He said he was looking forward to competing against him. He told him that he came into this thinking Blake was going to beat him and just because he didn't make it didn't mean he was any less. Wow, right???? Kudos to the people who raised that boy. It just makes me happy that we live in such a terrific community.

I tell Blake don't worry you still have hurdles and you will be great. To make a sad story more sad last night in the pre-qualifications for tonight's track meet. They called Blake's name over the speaker as a competitor for the 300 hurdles. For some reason and we still have not got a real answer why. His name was not on the list to compete in that for district. He hears that and tells me this is the worst day of his life. I say...I know, it seems like it now but you are fine. I'm thinking in my head this is really nothing there are a lot worst things in life. Though I'm very disappointed too.

 We could go home but we hold our head up high and cheer the rest of the kids on. Everyone was so supportive of us, we need to do the same for them. My neighbor Ari rocks it out for the hurdles. Talk about "the one to watch" this girl is amazing. She placed first so proud of her. I love this picture. She is the one in the maroon that looks like her right arm is missing. This girl has had a great season and is just fun to watch. Congrats to her! As I was watching her another mom comes over to me. She says she was in the stands watching Blake. She saw him on the ground crying. She has watched and supported him all season. She tells me how she had tears in her eyes for him and wanted to come down and hug him. How great is that??? That is why I'm proud to be from Dripping Springs!
 Ashley another one of Blake's friends has a great season. So proud of her too! Another fun one to watch. I'm so glad we stayed.
 There is nothing like a Texas sunset at a sporting event.
Blake's best friend Ryan had a great night as well. So proud of him. This kid was Blake's very first friend when we moved here five years ago. They were fast friends and have been great friends to each other ever since then. Ya know when your older you recognize the difference in the friends your kids keep. There are the friends who you can see will be the ones that come and go. There are the ones you see your kid going through the long haul with. This is the kid that I see Blake as a man still being friends with him. I once overheard a conversation between them. Your shocked right???? They were talking about going to the same college together and after college being married and living by each other with their wives and kids. I couldn't ask for a better friend for Blake. I have seen him have his back in many situations. I have seen Blake has his back as well. I'm happy that he found such a good friend here. I love this kid too. He is like my other kid. He even named me as his second mom on Facebook. These two live down the street from each other and are back and forth between the two houses always. I saw the disappointment Ryan and his mother felt for Blake tonight. I hope they felt the joy we felt for Ryan tonight! I do have to say Blake is that kid who is going to do whatever his friends are doing good or bad. Ryan is that kid that is the voice of reason. This is one reason I'm glad he is Blake's best friend.

So the ride home was a little more quiet than the ride there. There was no music blaring and singing going on. Blake was still feeling down as was I. We stopped at WHAT A BURGER, super size my ass a little more. I blame sports for my super sized ass! Anyway, like I said before I am beyond proud of Blake this season. I'm proud of the community we come from. I thank everyone for all the support they have given him and the kind words. I can't wait to see what he does in high school and look forward to cheering him on. I'm sad that middle school has come to an end in what feels like a blink. I'm happy that Blake had an amazing coach, Jason Strilzuk, who  I can't say enough kind words about. This guy went to college on pole vaulting scholarship. How lucky are we that we have him coaching our kids. I only wish we could take him with us to high school. I got home tonight. I told him I will support you and get you training because I know your good. He trained for four weeks with someone that trains the UT collage kids plus he trained with his coach Jason Strilzuk. I asked Blake who did you learn more from because that is who we are going to have help you for high school. I'm all about a scholarship. He says hands down Jason Strilzuk. He learned the most from this coach. Thank you to an awesome coach!  Dripping Springs TX middle school came in first in district for seventh grade and second in district for eighth grade! Congrats Drippin! Once again I know I spell bad and have bad grammar, sorry! Too lazy to check.

No comments: