Tuesday, March 8, 2011

From farm to fridge

I'm finally going to do it! Start a vegetable garden. Just call me Martha freakin Stewart, ya know you want to. So I finally put the extra brick from my house to good use. I have only been saying I would do this for the last three and a half years. I had these guys build me a twenty by ten foot vegetable bed. I know what your thinking, I'm getting ahead of myself. The fact of the matter is these people are just about to eat me out of house and home. They are really cutting into my boot fund. I wanted to go right out fill this with dirt and throw some veggies in there. Hub's....aka...the voice of reason knows me so well that right away he says......Now don't go trying to tackle this project before spring break. I'm like but why????? He says....you need to take your time with this, plus you don't know the first thing about vegetable gardening. How hard can it be right???? Plant, water, and pick. . So for now it sits empty. If the veggies don't work out I will fill it with beautiful wild flowers or maybe bury one of these people I live with in it. I wonder what would sprout if I buried one of them. Some thing poisonous for sure. Then I could feed the poisonous stuff to the other people.....EVIL LAUGH. Their friends would come looking for them and I would just say....sorry their out in the vegetable garden. Alright, I'm totally joking and fantasizing at the same time. Now the kids have different ideas then me on this whole thing. They want pumpkins, strawberries, cantaloupes. I want stuff to cook with like peppers, cucumbers, onions, potatoes, and eggplants. Now all I need is Martha Stewart to come stay with me and teach me how to do it.



So Friday night I head out for GNO.....girl's night out. It's my friends birthday so of course we want to celebrate. Edward begged me to stay. I told him sorry and begged him not to follow me this time. We headed down town. I was a little sad FebruKerry was over but it was time to pass the torch.




We went to Star Bar and then rode the bicycle cabs to our next spot. This was my first time on one of these. I'm thinking I might want to get a job doing this. I really don't think I'm strong enough to bike people though. I could just see my out of shape ass huffing and puffing trying to get people somewhere. If I had go up hill the people would have to get out and push me. My tip would probably go right down the drain at that point. I can just imagine the great stories I would have though. How fun to drive drunk asses around and lose weight at the same time.











We got to our next destination to do some dancing. What I realized here is blonde's definitely have more fun. One of the best parts of the night was hitting the taco truck behind Star Bar on our way back to the car. I can't get those tacos out of my head. They were so good. I can't wait for the next GNO so I can eat more tacos. It's the little things!






Aidan is driving my ass crazy. He is obsessed and I mean obsessed with making crap out of paper. It was cute at first but enough is enough. Side note......So as I writing this tonight it's about 11pm. The house is quiet everyone is in bed. I'm sitting in the dark. All of the sudden I hear this strange sound, it kind of sounds like the theme music to the twilight zone. It seriously scared the shit out of me. I jumped right out of my skin. My brother flew back to Chicago today. He has been here the last seven weeks. While he was here he noticed I had different ring tones for all the people I talk to the most. He asked me what my ring tone was for him. He was pretty disappointed that he had the generic ring tone. So we played around with the different tones to find him a good one. Since I like the ring tone to mean something about the person I pick a Sci Fi one for him. I have a dog barking for my sister and a slot machine for Hub's just to name a few. My lame brain totally forgot about this. So needless to say it was him calling. I wish I did have secret cameras in my house. I would have loved to see my face when I jumped out of my skin trying to figue what and where that noise was coming from. Then there it was again, my lame brain is still not picking up on what it is. It did sound like a flying saucer was landing somewhere in the house. I might have wet my pants just a little.









Anyway, back to my original story. Aidan is obsessively making paper shit. As much as I want to shove this paper where the sun don't shine I allow this. My fear is if I stop him I might change who he is supposed to be. Maybe he is going to be a famous builder, creator, or artist. When he is older winning many awards for his accomplishments he will say.....I owe it all to my Mom. She let me make ridiculous shit out of paper when I was a lad. It kind of cracks me up because he bitches at me all the time about becoming more "green". He's not being very "GREEN" wasting all this paper and tape. His latest paper wasting project was to make a pole vaulting creation for Blake. Blake is kind of his hero at this stage in the game. Since Blake is a pole vaulting super star in middle school right now he makes him this. So I pull Blake aside to ask him to please make a big deal about this when Aidan presents him with this. A Mothers work is never done!





Since it was my brothers last few days here I asked him if there was anything he wanted to do. He tells me he wants to go to the Sausage Stick it eat. I look at him and say....Do you mean "The Salt Lick"? This is a famous barbecue place that happens to be five minutes from my house.
Now this to me will forever be the "Sausage Stick", sounds kind of dirty if you ask me. So Sunday night we headed out to the sausage stick.


Right before we head to the sausage stick I tell Aidan that we are going. Now all my kids love this place. Aidan looks at me and says....I'm not going. I look at him and say..... Why?????? He says....I was at a friends house and watched.....from farm to fridge. He gives me this little crazy face and asks if I know where meat comes from as he shakes his head in disgust. I tell him I don't have time to hear this. I talk him into going. I tell him he doesn't have to eat if he doesn't want to. We get there and I guess hunger takes over. He decides he wants to eat. He eats but he also wants to know what kind of animal he is eating. I tell him "ignorance is bliss" and he doesn't really want to know. Now dinner was less than perfect with Aidan's play by play of what they do to cows and pigs before we eat them. To hear how they hang a bunch of cows in a row by their toe nails is a gross thought. Especially while you are eating one. Then he told me how they cut all their heads in a row with a huge knife. I have a very visual brain. Now I can't get the picture of a bunch of cow heads chopped off out of my brain. I wonder if their eyes are open or shut...do they look shocked....or maybe they look stoned. My favorite is how they then cut a line in the cow's belly. They take off the skin as if they just unzipped a jacket and pull it off of them. Hello, child have I not taught you anything???? Have you ever heard of a little saying called TMI????? Now for all you older folks out there....TMI=TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Anyway I think I may have puked in my mouth. When I was a child I really had no idea I was eating animals. Sometimes I think these kids know a little too much at their age.


Yep there he is again waisting more paper the first one was just not good enough! Notice his outfit! This is another one of those examples of him worshiping Blake. The middle school kids wear black socks half way up their legs. They look ridiculous but at least all the middle school kids look ridiculous together. No one at the elementary school looks like this, except Aidan that is. After he is finished with his second paper pole vaulting project I find him in the front yard trying to pole vault with some PVC pipe. Next I find a how to pole vault video pulled up on "you tube" on my computer. All this stuff really does make me smile.

So I think I may be having a mid life crisis. I want to change everything. Maybe because everything is changing so fast around me. If I had the money I would empty out my house and start all over. Since I don't have the money I settle in on changing the color of my family room. I talk my brother into painting before he flies home. So here is the before picture. Yellow like walls.


This is my "GREEN" room after! If Hub's sees this picture I'm dead for leaving the door wide open. I have let many birds, bees, and ????? in this way.



So I took my brother to the airport today. I cried all the way home. I'm going to miss him. We had a lot of fun hanging together. I went to workout tonight. This workout thing is for the birds. Right now I would give anything for a big juicy cheeseburger and its midnight! Or one of those most delicious tacos from that taco cart. I'm starting to get pissed, I'm seeing no results from this workout crap. It makes me mad that I'm going to have to add more workouts and eat better. Where the Hell is the easy button when I want one.??


Did you ever have one of those days where you watched your child do something they weren't supposed to. You actually pretend that you don't see anything. You just don't have the energy to fight or parent for some reason. I had that kind of a day and I feel very guilty. Lazy parenting at it's finest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw a special on the travel channel about the "sausage stick"
we want to go Ut & R