Monday, January 2, 2012

Is FB too much for kids????

Sitting here barely surviving the last the day of Christmas break. I find myself asking the question is Facebook too much for young kids. Yesterday we spent a great day with good friends. After we got home and got the kids in bed I spent my time watching a little shit TV. My favorite time of the night. I'm a night owl for sure. Around midnight I pull up Facebook. I find out on Facebook that my 14 year old has broken up with his "girlfriend". He at this time is over night at my friends house with a few boys. I see that she was posted the famous in a relationship to single status. It makes me sad because she is a very nice girl. I do think they are too young to be in relationship but what do I know right???? What made me more sad was the seventy something comments bashing my son for breaking up with her. Not to mention all the people who liked it when someone bashed him. Some of these bashers are frequent flyer's at my house. It took everything in me not to write a comment back. I'm a Mama bear for sure. I had to read things about my son that a Mother should never have to see. I find myself wondering why all these kids feel the need to put their two cents into something they have nothing to do with. I guess this is a new not so improved generation. So I'm reading things that I wouldn't even feel comfortable writing on here. Anyone who reads this blog knows this is bad because I have no filter. I turn it off and put Dr. Oz on. I find myself wanting to pull it back up and see what else is being said. So there I am again trying to talk myself off the ledge of insanity wanting to rip these kids a new one on Facebook. Thank God it was not a beer night for me I would be considered a loon for sure. I see that now my son has jumped into the shit talking! I call him right away to tell him to stop it. Turn off the computer again and go back to my favorite Dr. I'm dozing off while watching a show about people shooting themselves up with growth hormones that make you look younger....totally need to re watch that show.

All the sudden my doorbell rings at 1am. I freak out, run and get Hub's out of bed. If anyone is going to get killed at the door it's not going to be me. He goes to the door to find a ton of toilet paper, paper towels, and marshmallows all over the lawn and the driveway. My guess would be one of these "haters" decided to show Blake. Well Blake is overnight so guess who has to clean all this craziness up! I have to think to myself so much for this great guard dog we have. While the house was being rampaged he laid around watching shit TV with me. Didn't get up, didn't growl, didn't bark, didn't do shit! He is a slacker dog for sure! If he wasn't the best person slash dog in this house I would trade him in for sure. After this I'm pissed! Like really this was a 8th grade relationship where you can't even really date yet. Now I'm wide awake. I pull up Facebook again only to find comments where people want to beat my son up and one even said their going to lynch him. The girl he broke up with is even like leave him alone. Hello 8th grade...really???? What happens when he is in a real relationship that goes south! Will they hang him by his toenails????

I try to go to bed after this. Tossing and turning for at least a hour. Thinking to myself once again is Facebook too much for these kids to handle. I'm an adult and sometimes its too much for me. Can you imagine if you had no filter on Facebook????? How many times I have wanted to write barf, get a life, who frickin cares, shut the front door, or TMI on someones status! I'm sure as shit some people have stopped themselves from writing something like that on my status updates. If someone did that to me as much as I think I'm too old to care it would crush me. These kids have no filter they let whatever they are thinking out. What scares me is these kids are going to develop such thick skins that nothing is going to faze them. They are going to have awful relationships for sure! Almost like your Hollywood without the famous or the money for good therapy. These kids have been raised so different from us. There were no DVR's to fast forward through the shit we don't have time to watch, no computers that will give us any kind of info we can possibly "google", no Xbox live, no you win no matter what, no parents that are afraid to tell kids what their doing is not the right thing, and so on and so one! We are doing these kids wrong by not teaching them the ups and downs of life. We shelter them and make them believe life is perfect and everyone is a winner no matter what. Immediate gratification, don't get me started. We are not teaching our kids how to be present in life or how to communicate face to face with one another. My God they text each other while they sit next to each other. I am by no means slamming anyone I am as guilty as the next for this insanity.


So back to my story. I wake up at ten am....don't judge it's just me! As soon as I wake up I want to go down and pull up the post about my son. So what do I do???? Immediate gratification and pull up the post. I find myself once again writing a message to some teenager to leave my kid alone. I come off the ledge and delete it once again. I know I can't go to their level which I'm trying like hell not to teach my kid to do this. I turn off Facebook once again. I put some happy music on and dance around my kitchen like a crazy loon. I once heard if your feeling bad put some great music on and dance it out. It works for a while and then I find myself right back on Facebook checking out what kids are sayings about my baby. I see again that my baby has become apart of this shit talking! He is still not home. I want to strangle him at this point. He is writing things like...."I broke up with her". I call him to tell him no one needs to know who broke up with who, that is private and between you and her only! What he doesn't get is a girl can hold on to rejection into her 40's trust me on this. There was no Facebook to document my middle school or HS years but God help me if there was.


Later in the day after he is home I ban him from Facebook for a few weeks. A few hours later I get a text from my sister in law about a picture that is posted on my sons Facebook page. Someone is now posting pictures of a naked lady and tagging my kid in them. I pull up his Facebook once again and delete and report these pictures. I click on to this person and the only friend they have is my son. So someone created a Facebook page only to harass him. I'm pissed off once again being a Mama bear if you will. I would love to find out who is doing this and throw them under the bus for sure! Now asking myself once again is Facebook too much for kids to handle????? Ask yourself this question. If you saw some of the things that were posted about my son you would be shocked. Some of the things I saw my son post made me go through the roof! Lets put a stop to on line craziness! I only think if at that age I would have to read the horrible things that people wrote about me it would have broke me. It scares me that these kids spirits will be broken before they get out in the real world. Lets step up to the plate and not make broken people! Sorry for bad grammar or misspellings too tired to proof read!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Are you kidding me? I thought the drama was between girls at this age. Poor boy... I totally would be the same Mama Bear, but I probably wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. Where are all of these other kids parents? I am so Home Schooling... well, probably not, but it's getting more and more attractive. Just bring on the medication for my sanity.