Monday, September 23, 2013

It's finally looking like a house.

So we have been working on building our/my dream house for about a year now. It's been a long and painful process. Really...I"m not lying! Lots of fighting between hubs and I! He says.....Black....I say White!  Nothing has really gone smoothly. It's a damn test for sure. But damn now that it's painted it just makes me smile. All the fights and crap may have just been worth it. I always wanted a house like this. Last minute we changed the color scheme to a typical farm house black, white, and silver. I'm so glad we did. It just reminds me of a true southern home. When we started this they told us nine months. I thought it will be like being pregnant except I could drink. That would have put us in in about July! I was so excited to be in before the kids started school. Plus I was DYING to decorate it for Halloween and have one of my costume parties. It has taken me a while and few major breakdowns to come to terms that it was not going to happen that way! I'm hoping for a Thanksgiving dinner in here at this point. Turkey...anyone????

This will be the 5th house we live in. We built two before this. This one was different though. We designed it and got to work with an amazing architect. I found a southern living design I liked. I changed the room sizes and added some things that are important to me. There is not one thing I would change on this house. I can't wait for family time here and family and friends to come visit. This house is bitter sweet for me. It will be the last house we build as a family. In this home it will be the final chapter in my life for raising my kids at home. Wow, when I wrote that I got a little scared and a little teary. Can't ya just hear that song..."This is it, make no mistakes where you are". Hello Kenny Rodgers! Should have never got that eye surgery!

When looking for the perfect floor plan I thought about our last house. I told the architect every thing I loved and hated about the last house. Spaces that were too big, rooms we never used, spaces that were not big enough, and our shower could have never fit us when we got fat and happy in the later years!  She listened and hit it spot on. Our last house was beautiful. I actually loved that house. I miss a few of my neighbors too. But the ones we connected with will be in our lives no matter where we live. I never thought I would own a home as nice as our last one. But it was a totally different home style. It looked a bit French Country from the outside. It was a little Tuscan on the inside. A lot of first in there. When we first moved there I came kicking and screaming. It would be the first time we lived somewhere with no family and didn't know a soul. It was scary. Plus no free family babysitters!  I'm so glad we ended up in Drip though. Such a great community.....most of the time. Sometimes it's a little too small. You definitely can't beep at anyone when their driving is pissing you off! I learned that fast.

We quickly made friends with people having three young boys. I have met some really great people here.....salt of the earth kind. My oldest became a man in that house. His voice still stops me in my tracks sometimes. My youngest started kindergarten in that house. How sad it is that time flies. My middle one entertained the hell out of me in that house. He still cracks my ass up. I can't wait to see him in his later years! So many great memories. My God our first year I think we had friends and family come almost every weekend. I loved every minute of it too. The worst memory of my last house was our next door neighbor. He made it miserable at times. I could write a book or a blog about the hell he put us through. I'm hoping in this next house we won't have a neighbor that steals kids balls, calls the police all the time, tells our houseguest and neighbors how awful we are and stands on his patio yelling..."Neighbor is an asshole in deep drunk German accent! Life will be good without him. He moved right when we did....I feel for the people he moved in next to!

So we have spent a year in a smaller rental. We are kind of on top of each other in here compared to the last house. I thought it would be hard. But the only bad thing has been a lot of our stuff is in storage. We couldn't really decorate or get settled here. But what I learned is a family makes a house. We have had a good year here....not much really changed. The bonus is we have made a few great friends here that we wouldn't have if we weren't here! We have had some fun nights here.  A lot of the coaches from the high school live here too. We have made friends with them too. Salt of the earth people. So I'm happy we lived here and will be able to carry these friendships on to the next adventure!  We have had fun nights here with good conversations and a little dancing in this kitchen. Plus we still have had friends and family come and stay. I guess that saying everything happens for a reason rings true.

So we are getting close to embark on our next adventure. When I think about this next house I think..."Damn I'm lucky". I got to build and design our/my dream home. Some people never get to that. I get that. I hope this house will bring more first and lots of good memories. I know one thing...two more of my kids will turn into men in this house. Scary right????? More scary because that means I'm getting old! I kind of hate that since I feel young still! One is close to flying the coop..at least I hope! I think it's important for him to do that even though I kind of hate it! I almost wish I could freeze time in this next house. We could just stay right where we are now that would be perfect. We have made their stay a little too comfortable though. They may never want to leave!

I picture lots of family and friends around in this next house. This house to me looks like a perfect picture......but I know from experience it will come with challenges on the inside. I have learned in my later years nothing is perfect and life has ups and downs. Damn it, When I was young I pictured white picket fence and bliss. But I'm looking forward to all that comes with it! Ask me that same question in a few years and it may be different.....with a house full of teenagers! Woe is me! For sure. But really even though this house has not gone the way we planned we have an amazing builder...even if I give him shit once in a while.....he throws it right back at me. I kinda like that about him....Most of the time. Sometimes I want to throw him the bone...but this house as long it took is turning out perfect...which is more than I can say for the people that are about to move in it! I will never admit that to him though!  Anyway...final thought.....My perfect black dog that I may love more than these people at times is going to look fab on that porch! And yes....I'm really thinking about that! Hello padded cell....My name is Kerry!!!!!!!


1 comment:

Shari said...

Love your new house!!! I can't imagine building a house and still being married when it was finished. :)

We are in the process of house hunting and that is stressful enough. My husband would be 6' under if we built a house...lol