Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving, 2011, tis the season!

Thanksgiving has come and gone once again. Since we have moved to Austin we have no family around. This can make the holidays a little sad. Not to mention my Grandma died on Thanksgiving last year. Growing up Irish catholic holidays were filled with good food and lots of family. I miss those days. I wish my kids could grow up with those same kind of holiday memories. So Wednesday morning I wake up around nine. I know that is early for me. I feel slightly overwhelmed because for the first time ever I have to do all the cooking myself. The last couple years we celebrated Thanksgiving with some other families, we split the cooking. This year everyone has their own plans. I end up cooking from nine till six. After that I got all the Xmas stuff down to decorate and washed all the floors! Oh and yes I am tooting my horn about now. I had to wash the floors because after I cooked it looked like a bomb went off in the kitchen. I should have taken a picture of it. While I cooked all day I listened to the sound of holiday music and danced around the kitchen. I sang happily at the top of my lungs. I felt total inter peace! Tis the season! Alright so I'm totally lying! It went more like......While I cooked I listened to the kids fight over the TV and anything else they possibly could. I cussed to myself the whole day. I was covered in flour and butter. I had never got out of my PJ's and I kind of looked like death warmed over. I spent my day yelling at the top of my lungs at the kids to stop fighting. I felt total blood pressure spikes all day. Then the on line shopping started for them. They were getting together their Xmas list. I swear technology can be a torn in my side. The kids find shit on line that they would never know existed. Tis the season!
After I cooked mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade mac&cheese, homemade stuffing, two pies, and one cake I get the turkey out. I clean all the shit out of the insides and almost puke in my mouth. I get the Turkey in the pan and for some reason it just cracks my ass up. I don't know if all the cooking has gone straight to my head or if the kids have finally sent me over the edge. I call Cole over to take funny pictures of him and me with the turkey. He is all for the turkey fun! I'm laughing so hard I almost pee my pants. I also take a pic on my camera phone and send it to my family. My Dad...aka...text back and tells me I finally made his screen saver. I don't think I have ever made his screen saver. Ella.....aka....the golden jerk has been on there since she was born. I call Blake...aka...nasty teenager down. I just know he is going to think this is funny. I think I'm going to get a laugh or a smile out of his newly smug face. So he comes down doesn't crack a smile at all. He says....what is your problem your acting like a child???? I tell him to get behind the turkey so I can get his picture. He is having no part of this. He looks at me as if I'm smoking crack in the kitchen and goes back upstairs never to be seem for hours again. Hub's comes in after work as I'm washing the floors. Thank God he did not see the kitchen an hour ago since he is anal boy. I say....your not going to believe all the stuff I got done today. He looks at me and says......Talk to me when you get up at 5am and work all day!!!!!! He is extra grumpy being in the retail business during the holidays. Wrong thing to say to someone who cooked, cleaned, did laundry, listened to kids fight, ran the dishwasher three times, and had everything looking great! Plus I'm in mental pause, what is he thinking. Doesn't he realize my head can spin, I can spit fire and spray green shit like the exorcist over something far much less than that awful insult. I found myself fantasizing about being one of those taken care of women. If that were the case I would be having botox shot in my forehead while my personal assistant cooked for the 50 people I'm flying in to my home in the Hampton's for Thanksgiving. My rich ass Hub's would be flying in late because he is busy closing billion dollar deals and banging his secretary before he flies in. This would be alright with me because I would have unlimited funds and she would do all the dirty work for me! My fantasy is cut short when Aidan...aka...worry wort walks by with his fifth change of clothes for the day! I look at him and say....why the heck are you in yet another outfit. All the other clothes are scattered around the house and the driveway for me to pick up. He looks at me and says...I don't know! I say....boy do you have any idea how many loads of laundry I do in week???? He says...No! I say...well let me tell you, so much that often times I feel like a gerbil in wheel, a gerbil that wants to get the hell off the wheel. He looks at me like I have three heads and says.....Sorry! This gerbil thing totally went over his head!
So being a Mom of three boys means I'm the only one who has any interest in putting up X-mas! Well Aidan wants to do some of the fun stuff. Like put ornaments on the tree. The problem is he cluster fucks them all in the same spot. This for me means more work. I have to go behind him and move them around! For some reason this is not the fantasy I had as a child. I pictured a family all in matching Xmas sweaters and Santa hats decorating the tree together. We would sing Xmas songs and sip eggnog....mine would be spiked of course! Tis the season!
While we decorated Hub's spent time with his best friend apple. Blake played Xbox and we never saw him all night. Cole watched ESPN and imagined himself as a pro football player. Aidan all of the sudden is on the couch with a low grade fever! Wouldn't be the holidays if someone didn't have fever. Hub's is starting to feel guilty about his insensitive comment. He keeps trying to tell me what a great job I have done. I'm having no part of this. Every time he says something I follow it up with a.....Well I don't get up at 5am and work all day! Even though I can really care less at this point because I have finally realized men are from Mars and women are Venus I'm going to ride this puppy. For this for me means one less thing to do tonight if you know what I mean! Tis the season!
So Thanksgiving morning rolls around way too early! I was up till one am making Xmas in this house for the ingrates. I have to wake up to get this giant bird cooking. I get up soak a cheese cloth in butter and herbs and lay it over my bird. I say goodbye to my bird tell him it's been fun and go back to bed.
The house turned out beautiful. Tooting my own horn again since these people I live with don't! We going to have some last minute guest for Thanksgiving which makes me so happy. My friend Patty and her family were going to go out of town but since her son has a playoff game the next day the are stuck here. Like I said this makes me so happy. Good friend and good conversation! Plus I'm not stuck by myself with these people I live with all day! God love them...tis the season!
Can't believe I got all this done in one day! I kind of feel like a mom rock star! Totally tooting my own horn again!
Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. Everything turned out great. All the food was good and the Turkey was moist! The boys all watched football all day. Patty and I looked through shopping flyers and talked about how bad it sucks getting old. Another set of our friends stopped over after their dinner and the day was good! I did miss spending the holidays with my family but it is what it is. Tis the season.

Today in Chicago they had a mass for my Grandma that I of course could not attend. I decided to go to the 5 o'clock mass here in her honor. It felt good to be in church even though at one point I had tears streaming down my face. I bet the people around me were wondering what the heck my problem was. The priest said they are going to have a mass in two weeks for people suffering from chronic disease. Maybe I'm there for a reason...I'm totally going to this mass. I'm going to pray as hard as I can that God will take the MS away from me. For I have no time to deal with a disease like this. I'm too busy taking care of these people I live with. When I was a kid I believed God could take care of everything. I want to get back to that kind of belief again, I want to be the one to say I experienced a miracle. Damn I can be so sappy sometimes! Missing my Grandma this holiday season. I have once again been dreaming about her and her house like crazy. The sappy side of me would like to think it's her telling me she is still around. Tis the season. Sorry for bad grammar and mis-spellings.....too tired to proof read! Hope everyone had a great holiday!

No comments: