Monday, April 29, 2013

Grumps

My Dad...aka...Grumps came for a visit this week. There is something about this guy that I love. Maybe it's because he makes everything alright. Maybe it's because I still believe he can fix anything. He had me at a very young age. He was a baby himself. He had barely turned 21 when I came around. I often think how the hell did him and my mom raise me so young. But they did. He was the "hot" dad when I grew up. I never got that at the time. I used to think my friends were gross for finding him good looking. When I look back now I think he was good looking and young. My God he wasn't even 40 when I graduated high school.

He is kind and really has a good heart. I couldn't ask for a better Dad. I enjoy the time I get to spend with him.  I love the fact that he understands me. He told me while he was here that he doesn't know how I do it. Do you know how good it feels to hear that???? Sometimes the people I live with don't appreciate all I do. Since he retired he has tried a different beer every day. He is up to over 200 kinds. He writes in this little journal about the beers and what's up in his life. Like an old persons blog. When he was in the shower I peeked in his journal. I was surprised at how funny it was. I think he should publish it when he's done.

He came to see Aidan..aka..Pig Pen play baseball. He's a baseball lover. Aidan by chance got on Grumps favorite team "The Sox". Aidan pitched that night. He's a great pitcher but couldn't get anything over the plate. He got a great catch that night. I think my Grumps enjoyed seeing that. My niece happens to be his favorite. He has a soft spot for girls. We called him out asking what his screen saver was. It's the Golden Jerk of course. Damn that girl is a torn in my side. But I'm a big girl and can admit she is something special. We do like to poke fun at Grumps for having a favorite.

Now is when I totally plug Nutribullet. I got myself a Nutribullet for Xmas. I loved it so much that I got Grumps one. The Nutribullet for me has helped with a lot. My hot flashes are gone. That's a big deal. Now for my Dad it has been great. Probably the best gift I ever got him. His cholesterol was way over 200 hundred before I got him this. He has used the Nutribullet every day for four months and started walking. His cholesterol dropped to 150. So see I'm helping my Grumps now instead of hurting him as I did in my teen years!

Anyway, I said it before but this is the guy I love. I put this guy through hell on more than one occasion. Like in high school when I would brake curfew and he would meet me at the door in his tighty whities mad as hell. I never got why he was so mad. I get it now that I have my own kids. He would tell me he couldn't sleep till I was home. I never got that either. I'm getting it now and it really even have started for me. My oldest will be driving in four short months and I'm dreading it remembering my high school years. I hope my kid has heard at least half of what I told him. I'm smarter than my Grumps in way. My Grumps was a good kid that really never got in trouble. He was a little more naive than I will be. My kids are not going to get away with half of  what I did. I did the big bad and the evil. Unlike my parents. There were times when I snowed them because they had not done those things. It worked out great for me. Not so much for my kids.

 I have concerns about my high school kid. When I talk to Grumps he is way more laid back then he was with me. He is like "kids are going to mess up".  Really who are you???? Here is how I feel. I think back to me and my friends in high school. Let me tell you most of us were raised to believe you did not have sex or drink. For some reason that went right out some door for some of us. I'm confused on how to approach these subjects with my kids. I want them to know that I don't believe they should do either. I also have to teach them about consequences for bad decisions. Like if you have sex you could have a baby.  You better be ready to support a baby. It's hard to support a baby. I'm not going to raise that baby, I raised mine. Drinking...I hate the thought of kids drinking. I tell them...remember it's illegal. Never and I mean never get in a car with a person who drank or drive drunk. As much as I don't agree with it I will never judge you if you do it and call me for a ride...NO QUESTIONS asked! I truly believe at your age your too young to handle drinking. Adults don't handle it well some times. The biggest thing I preach is don't try to grow up too fast. There is plenty of time to do adult things when your an adult. Being grown-up is over rated anyway! So I have a new respect for my parents who I used to think were so stupid.

We had a great visit with Grumps. It went way too fast.

No comments: